Federal Firearms License (ffl)—what You Need To Know

Federal Firearms License (FFL)—What You Need To Know

Is this the first time you are looking for a Federal Firearms License (FFL), and you would like to know as much as possible about it? Here are a few things you should know:

You need to apply to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).

To get the license, you need to download the application form from the ATF website and fill it in, including your name, photograph, and fingerprints. After submitting your application, the authorities will undertake background checks and even interview you. Once they certify that everything about you checks out, you will be sent the license in your mail.

You need to pay a fee.

When you are making the application, you need to pay a fee that ranges from $30 to $3000, depending on the license you want.

You have no reason to worry if you are looking to buy and sell guns, as in most cases, you will pay a small fee ($30 to $200) for application and an even smaller one ($30-$150) for license renewal.

The high dollar fees are for the advanced importers and manufacturers of NFA and military-grade arms.

For more information on this, read about getting a FFL license here.

Federal Firearms License (ffl)—what You Need To Know 2

There are many types of FFL.

As you are making the application, you should be cautious about the license you apply for, as there are many types of FFL licenses. They include:

Type 1: This is a generic license that allows you to sell non-NFA firearms and engage in gunsmithing activities. The license doesn't allow the manufacturing of firearms, and for you to engage in NFA items, you have to pair it up with a type 3 license.

Type 2: Although it's a special license designed for pawnbrokers, it's similar to the type 1 license.

Type 3: This is for collectors of curio and relic firearms.

Type 5: This certificate is only for the manufacture of non-armor piercing or NFA ammunition and reloading components such as primer and powder.

Type 6: The license allows you to manufacture fully loaded ammunition that isn't armor-piercing or subject to the NFA.

Type 7: It's said to be the most versatile FFL as it allows you to manufacture non-NFA guns and ammunition. When you pair it with a type 2 license, it allows you to also deal with NFA guns and ammunition. For maximum potential revenue, this is the most recommended license for most new FFL holders.

Type 8: This one allows the importation of non-NFA guns and ammunition, and when you pair it with a type 1 license, you can import NFA arms.

Type 9: It's recommended when you are dealing with destructive devices and explosive ammunition. To be in business, type 9 license holders also need a type 2 license. They may also need additional federal explosive licenses if dealing with explosive materials.

Type 10: You need this license if you manufacture destructive devices, and like with type 9, you need a type 2 license to do business. In some cases, you might also need Federal explosives licenses.

Type 11: This license is necessary when dealing with various explosive ammunition, armor-piercing ammunition, and similar devices. You also need a type 1 license, and in some cases, you might need the Federal explosive license depending on the nature of your work.


Thank you for reading!

Related posts

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *