Reading time: ~4 minutes
As we progress into the new digital future, teachers do not have to be associated with the traditional school setting, but they can explore a wide range of new avenues. As all platforms have shifted online, it is straightforward for teachers to earn money from home. This article will see a few jobs that a teacher can work while keeping their full-time job.
It is effortless to become a tutor once you have worked as a teacher in a school. You can choose to teach coaching classes in addition to your day job of teaching or on a part-time basis. You have the advantage of being well-versed with the traditional curriculum. As a tutor, you can use innovative methods to deliver an impactful lecture rather than following the school’s norms.
You can incorporate puzzles, games, fun facts, and history about the topic to keep your students motivated to study. The best part about home tuitions is that you can maintain flexibility in timings depending on your schedule. It has become easier to conduct such classes as everything has shifted to an online platform, and you do not have to travel to reach your place of work.
You can also join a fantastic educational platform that enables you to work from home and follow your teaching passion. They also provide you with several resources such as interactive puzzles, online worksheets, etc., to help you deliver a fun and effective lecture to your students.
Tips and trick to deliver better virtual tutorials –
- Set your device to face a natural light source like a window, or choose a brightly lit room to conduct your class.
- Refrain from turning up for the class in your jammies no matter how tempting it may sound. Dress your part.
- Set clear rules because an online environment can get chaotic.
- Stimulate your student by connecting relevant topics with interesting, current events, memes, and facts.
- Check progress constantly with Q&A sessions and interesting assignments.
You can sign up for evaluating several competitive exam papers such as TOEFL, GRE, etc. You are supposed to check and score these tests conducted online while adhering to certain set guidelines. This is a part-time job and requires you to be knowledgeable in more than one subject. However, it is an easy way to earn money while you are at home.
You can train other teachers and administrative professionals who work in the field of education. As an educational consultant, you might have to teach individuals the appropriate way to conduct themselves in a classroom, deal with difficult situations, the level of knowledge required to teach which grade of class, etc. If you start your own business, you can work on a part-time basis and earn a good amount of money.
Some of the skills to develop to succeed in this side profession are –
- Impeccable communication skills.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant disciplines.
- Good analytical and diagnostic skills.
- Up-to-date with modern technology
- Deep understanding of humans, especially children’s behavior.
- A master’s degree in education, psychology, or other related fields can be of extreme help to propel your career.
Writing and editing
Many companies look for individuals with a strong educational background and a skill for writing. The role usually requires you to conduct research on a particular topic and write a summary of the relevant information. You can also become an editor, which requires you to scan the documents sent to you and determine if the information is factual. You might also have to do grammatical checks.
With the rise in e-media, the demand for professional writers and editors has skyrocketed. If you develop enough skills, this can become a lucrative career for you instead of a side hustle. Wondering how you can pick up great skills as a writer and editor? Here are some resources that will definitely help.
Read blogs. It is best to pick a niche and read a few blogs every day from the field’s best bloggers. This will help you improve your writing skills and keep you updated with the latest trends.
- Watch YouTube videos on how to write different types of content.
- Follow good writers and coaches on LinkedIn to pick up tips and tricks along the way.
- And, then there’s always the good ol’ books to turn to.
Social media influencer
Everyone has something unique about them. It could be their passion for photography, performing arts, modeling, make-up, so on and so forth. Thankfully, we live in an era where we are not short of the platform to show off our talent or passion. Find yours and showcase it online.
As a teacher, you can use social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to share your knowledge. You can find fun and creative ways to present your content. In addition to this, you can also use blogging platforms such as WordPress and Wix to create your own website to share your thoughts and ideas on concepts, study tips, etc.
As a beginner influencer, you should keep the following things in mind –
- Success doesn’t come overnight.
- Post your content consistently, or your follower count is bound to fall.
- Put in the effort to create content that’s engaging, helpful, and/or entertaining.
- You do not need fancy equipment to start your influencer journey. It would be best to have a smartphone, internet connection, and a head full of ideas.
- Engage with your audience and reply to comments and DMs.
- Don’t let negativity, trolls, and abuse get to you.
The world is your oyster with endless possibilities in the era of technology and digitalization. There are so many opportunities to explore your talents, and you can convert your hobby into a lucrative job. Hopefully, this article gave you an insight into a few of the options you can avail while being a teacher.
Thank you for reading!